Monday, February 21, 2011

Creating something beautiful everyday!

My new work has been focusing on incorporating texture and image transfers. I have been using gel medium and creating multiple layers. These have been fun and free! After reading some books on different ways to create interesting background texture and images, I couldn't wait to begin trying them. For this piece I began with a blended green acrylic background. Then began adding other cool colors with a palette knife and various brushes. The birds in this piece were a "happy accident". I wanted to do an image transfer with a toner image copy, I had created using photo editing programs. The tranfer wasn't successful and I pulled the whole piece of paper off. What was left was the outline of the bird and I accented this using gel medium, and it became the inspiration for the rest of the piece.
Working on this 16x20 canvas I realized I want to work larger than this and begin experimenting with interesting shapes.
Maybe start stretching my own canvas again, and experiment with different gessos. These two pieces have also inspired me to begin working on blogging and sharing my work with others. It's so easy to get lost in the shuffle of everyday life. Finding a couple hours to work on my art, and create something beautiful is definilty a heart warming and fulfilling addition to my life.

No comments: